Following her announcement (here) that DWSD was terminating its RFP for Contract PC-781, Director Sue McCormick has outlined plans for a 2-day Biosolids Management Symposium to be held on March 15-16th. The objective of this event is to "gather industry information to optimize the re-procurement of PC-781."
DWSD plans to invite two participants each from large wastewater utilities, academia, national industry experts, and local representatives from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and the Board of Water Commissioners. DWSD plans to invite several (wholesale) customer representatives, as identified by the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), to participate as well.
DWSD will be represented by at least four staff members including (presumably), Director McCormick.
The teams who submitted proposals last August, and any new teams or prospective bidders, would also be invited to attend.
Among the subjects to be covered:
- Overview of DWSD WWTP processes, history, current conditions, regulatory compliance history
- Plant tour
- Overview of DWSD biosolids production history, needs and objectives for biosolids management
- Identification of technologies that may be appropriate for DWSD's needs
- Issues in contracting for biosolids management services
- Risks and risk mitigation strategies
The symposium will be held at a hotel (TBD) near Metro Airport.
Update (2/27): I understand now that this symposium may not be a public event. If things change, I'll pass along any new information.
For more about DWSD Update, click here.